divider divider divider


Parish Council

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that ONE casual vacancy has arisen in the office of councillor for the Parish of Gayton...

Date 21.09.2015


Please see here to download the NOTICE

Parish Council Vacancies

Vacancy Notice

Completion of Nomination Paper


The top of the nomination paper should be completed with the name of the Parish and the date of election.  If the Parish is divided into wards, this should also be included. The nomination paper must state the candidate's full names, the home address in full including house name and/or number and the post code. If the candidate commonly uses a different surname or forename this may be included.  The description, if any, must not exceed six words in length, and need not refer to rank, profession or calling so long as, with the candidate's other particulars, it is sufficient to identify them e.g. retired school teacher.


A nomination paper may not include a description of a candidate which is likely to lead voters to associate the candidate with a registered political party unless that description is authorised by a certificate issued by or on behalf of the registered nominating officer of the party, and received by the last time for the delivery of nomination papers.  (It is very rare for Parish Council candidates to stand with a party description, but they may do so subject to the above).


Every candidate requires a proposer and seconder.  These must be people registered on 2 March 2015 in the electoral area for which the candidate is standing and can, if the candidate wishes, include a spouse or partner.  The "electoral area" is the parish, or if the parish is divided into wards, the parish ward for which the candidate is seeking election.  The nomination paper must give the electoral number of the proposer and seconder.  An example of an elector number could be SS1 29.  In this case SS1 is the Polling District (found on the front cover of the Register of Electors) and

29 the elector number, (found to the left of the elector's name on the Register of Electors).  A person may not propose or second more nomination papers than there are vacancies to be filled in the electoral area.  Thus, for example, if the ward has five councillors, a person may not support more than five nomination papers.  If they do, the sixth nomination paper would be invalid.


A person under the age of 18 may propose or second a candidate if (but only

if) he/she is shown in the register as being of voting age on the day fixed for the poll.  



Consent to nomination


Anyone completing a nomination paper is also required to complete a consent to nomination.  Candidates should be advised to complete as many of the relevant qualifications as apply.  The consent to nomination must include the candidate's date of birth. It must not be signed and dated more than one month prior to the last date for receipt of nomination papers (i.e. not before 10 March).  

How to become a Parish Councillor ...

The consent must be signed in the presence of a witness (who may be any person, including a spouse or partner) and delivered to the Returning Officer during the nomination period.


If the candidate has been authorised by a political party to use a description in their nomination, they can also request that one of the party's official emblems is used on the ballot paper next to their name.

That request must be made in writing by the close of nominations.


Nomination papers can be inspected at the Returning Officer's office by any person during normal office hours after the close of nominations at 4pm on Thursday 9 April until the day before polling day, Wednesday, 6 May.


Qualifications to be a Councillor


A person is qualified to be elected and to be a councillor if they are a British, Commonwealth or European Union citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, and on the day of their nomination they are 18 or over.  In addition, the person must meet at least one of the following criteria:-


(1) be registered as a local government elector for the area, and give their electoral number, or


(2) have during the whole of the twelve months before the day on which they are nominated occupied as owner or tenant any land or premises in the parish, or


(3) during the whole of the twelve months before the day on which they are nominated have their principal or only place of work in the area of the parish, or


(4) during the whole of the twelve months before the day on which they are nominated have resided in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) of it.



Disqualifications to be a Councillor


Certain people are disqualified from standing.  If any prospective candidate doubts their eligibility please see Part 1 of the Electoral Commission's Guidance for Candidates and Agents.




Download your  Nomination Pack here